The Gospel is Good News
- Increasingly, churchgoers are confused about what the term “gospel” means.
- As the word “gospel” gets thrown around more and more, we need to bring the discussion back to what the gospel actually is: the good news of salvation in Christ.
A Matter of First Importance
- Paul details the heart of the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-8.
- He Paul focuses on the life, death, and resurrection of Christ for sinners.
- He calls it a “matter of first importance.”
Redemption Accomplished and Applied
- 1 Corinthians focuses on redemption accomplished or what is sometimes called historia salutis, the history of salvation.
- The Holy Spirit applies the redemption accomplished by Christ to us.
- This is redemption applied or ordo salutis, the order of salvation.
The Goal of the Gospel
- There are different elements of this application (e.g. effectual calling, regeneration, union with Christ by faith, justification, adoption, sanctification, and glorification).
- But their purpose is to bring us to that which has been the goal of history even before the fall into sin: consummated union and communion with the Triune God in glory.